Charges Associated with Damage and Loss
As we realize used instruments are subject to normal wear and tear, fees typically apply to obvious damage such as cracks, very visible scratches, and the like. Rentals returned without any obvious or abnormal wear and tear receive no additional charge. However, additional fees apply to damaged instruments in need of our time and cost of repair. If damage is beyond repair, the retail cost of the instrument must be paid minus 55% of any rental credits accumulated. Note that damage beyond repair is a rare occurrence, usually involving a crack in the top or bottom plates of the instrument. We offer a rental insurance program
for 24% of the monthly rental fee.
When utilizing credit, it will only be applicable to your family line of instruments. For example a customer who rents a violin through Kennedy Violins will only be able to use credit for another violin. A cello rental customer may not use rental credit accumulated to purchase a violin, but for a cello. Any customer who would like to use their rental credit for an intrument outside of their family line may only do so for a maximum of 50% of the purchase price of the instrument.
Before returning your instrument, please clean it to look as new as possible.
Tapes on fingerboards or bows should be removed. Built-up rosin dust on the violin should be wiped off. For specific damage fees, please see below:
- Extremely dirty bow hair - $5.00 to clean
- Built-up rosin on fingerboard near bridge - $5.00 to clean
- Tape on fingerboard or bow - $7.00 to remove and clean
- Broken generic strings - $2.00 per string
- Broken brand-name strings - Total retail cost of individual string(s)
- Ripped canvas on instrument case - $16.00 to repair
- Scratch on violin finish (raw wood not showing) - $12.00 to remove or repair
- Scratch on violin with raw wood showing - $25.00 to remove or repair
- Broken bow - $49.00 to replace
- Damage beyond repair (such as cracked top/bottom plate) - Full purchase price minus 55% of total accumulated rental credits
- Lost instrument - Full purchase price minus 55% of total accumulated rental credits.